Please Donate online Today!
The Middlesex Land Trust is asking for your support and donations to raise $115K to cover the purchase price ($100K), expenses and stewardship, of its latest acquisition in East Hampton on Pine Brook and adjacent to the Pine Brook Falls Preserve. The Pine Brook Falls Preserve is now part of the Silvio O. Conte U.S.Fish & Wildlife Refuge. This property was going on the market and to ensure the conservation of this key property, the Middlesex Land Trust made the bold decision to act quickly – finalize the purchase and then raise the necessary funds. We locked in the property August 7, and under the terms of the deal, our payments stretch over 12 months, covering two tax years to facilitate raising donations.
Many thanks to the Meshomasic Hiking Club, which launched our fundraising effort with a $2500 donation!
This Purchase by the Middlesex Land Trust provides:
Public access -
- 34.8 acres,
- Scenic ledges,
- Large vernal pool,
- Beautiful cold running brook.
Ensures Clean Water -
- Protects streamside degradation in area downstream of last, water filtering wetlands on Pine Brook,
- Prevents potential construction/development in riparian forest above Pine Brook,
- Ensures protection of small forest flood plain,
- Helps ensure continued good water quality flowing into the Silvio O Conte Refuge’s Salmon River Division,
- Helps protects water quality in Salmon River Cove – significant freshwater tidal wetlands complex important to fish, birds and other wildlife.
Creates Protected Forest Block (see location Map 1) -
- Ties together several parcels now totaling 704 contiguous, protected acres,
- Songbird nesting and foraging habitat for species requiring large blocks of forest,
- Mitigates invasive plant encroachment into prior protected areas.
North-South Pine Brook Greenway (see location Map 2) –
- South – Silvio O Conte Refuge (contiguous), Salmon River Cove, Machimoodus State Park, Sunrise State Park,
- North – Pine Brook open spaces (MLT Lower Pine Brook Preserve (contiguous) & MLT Upper Pine Brook Preserve, Town of East Hampton Open Space, Meshamasic State Forest).
- East – Forest Legacy conservation easement on private land (contiguous), Wopowog Wildlife Management Area, Salmon River State Forest,
- West – Hurd State Park & George Dudley Seymour State Park.
The Middlesex Land Trust is a 501(c)3 and all donations are tax deductible to the extent allowable by law.
Please visit our website to make a donation www.middlesexlandtrust.org/wordpress/, or checks can be made out to the
“Middlesex Land Trust, Inc.”, and mailed to:
Middlesex Land Trust, 27 Washington St., Middletown, CT 06457.
You may also contact us at our office: (860) 343-7537.